Chilli Con Carne
Chilli con carne, often simply referred to as chilli, is a popular dish originating in Texas, United States. It typically consists of minced beef, kidney beans, tomatoes, and a variety of chilli spices and seasonings. The primary ingredient is chilli powder, which gives the dish its characteristic spicy flavour. Additional ingredients can include onions, garlic, and sometimes bell peppers.
Chilli is known for its versatility and can be customised to suit individual tastes. It can be served with toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream, or chopped spring onions. It’s often enjoyed on its own, with rice, tortillas, or as a topping for hot dogs or baked potatoes. There are many regional variations and personal recipes for chilli, making it a beloved comfort food in many parts of the world.
Here’s a basic recipe for chilli con carne:
1. In a large skillet or pot, brown the minced beef in a glug of Rosemary and Sea Salt Yorkshire Rapeseed Oil over medium-high heat, breaking it into crumbles as it cooks. Drain any excess fat.
2. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the cooked beef, and sauté for a few minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
3. Stir in the fresh chilli or chilli powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Cook for a minute or two to allow the spices to bloom.
4. Add the Mutti Pomodoro Passata and drained kidney beans. Stir well.
5. Pour in a little stock and mix everything together. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
6. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the chilli gets too thick, you can add a bit more water.
7. Taste the chilli and adjust the seasoning to your liking. If you prefer it spicier, you can add more chilli or a dash of hot Tabasco sauce.
8. Serve the chilli hot with your choice of toppings, such as shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped onions, or sliced jalapeños.
You can customise this by adding other ingredients like bell peppers, corn, or different types of beans. Enjoy your homemade chilli!
How to Shop
In store - Farm Shop & Butchers open:
Monday to Saturday 9am - 5pm
Sunday 9am - 4pm
7 days a week 9am - 4pm
Last food orders at 3pm